NEWBOLD PACEY St George 4, 7cwt in B
History Of The Bells
A small village church along a narrow lane. Look for the small "Church" sign off the main road, not to the Hall, the other one! It is a fair distance down the lane. There is some parking near to the church.
The ringing room is reached via a vertical ladder in the church porch.
The frame and fittings are probably of 1881, contemporary with the present church - but by a carpenter and builder (probably James Kibler of Wellesbourne) rather than a bellhanger. (Chris Povey says that these bells are the only surviving complete ring by this foundry; other rings, e.g. Badsey and Hinton on the Green, having been augmented by other founders. They are therefore listed bells). Treble swings E-W along the South wall and the rest N-S in parallel pits on the North wall. None of the bells have been turned.
The treble is rung from the corner of the ringing room and the other 3 in a straight line down the middle of it - not using all of what is a fairly small ringing room.
There was a scheme recently which intended to rehang the bells in the existing frame and also add a treble to make them up to a ring of 5. Hoever, t has been found that some money needs to be spent on the church and its future is not certain at the moment and the scheme has been put on hold, at best.
Details of the Bells
1 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 4cwt 26.50" 1344.0Hz (E+33c)
2 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 4½cwt 27.75" 1248.5Hz (D#+6c)
3 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 5¼cwt 29.875" 1146.0Hz (C#+57c)
4 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 7cwt 33.00" 997.5Hz (B+17c)