NETHER WHITACRE St Giles 6, 10-1-0 in G
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
|Other Information||Ringers' Website|
History Of The Bells
These bells, a complete Smith ring of 1725, originally rang out at Hampton in Arden, Warks (q.v.), but became surplus to requirements when the former Miles Platting, Manchester, ring of eight was installed at Hampton in 1975-6. The "old" ring was transferred to Nether Whitacre in 1976-7. As part of this scheme the bells were retuned, turned and their canons were removed. A new metal "lowside" frame and standard fittings were supplied with the ring. The tenor is in the key of G-47c.
One bell from the former three (no. 2 by Newcombe, 1612, 4¾cwt, 29.25", 1108.0Hz, C#-1c) was preserved for use as a clock bell; the remaining two being sold to Coleshill, Warwickshire, the metal being used as part of their scheme for rehanging and augmentation to 10, completed in 1977. The churchwardens account for 1640 give details of expenditure on a new bellframe and this may have been the one removed from the tower when the six were installed. The three bells all swung north - south.
A new upstairs ringing room was created in 2002.
Look for the sign towards the parish church off the main road through the village, the B4098. You can park by the churchyard gate.
Details of the Bells
1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1725 4-1-26 28.00" 1285.0Hz (E-45c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1725 4-1-26 28.875" 1146.0Hz (D-43c)
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1725 4-2-14 30.00" 1022.0Hz (C-41c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1725 5-1-13 31.625" 964.0Hz (B-42c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1725 7-0-26 34.313" 859.0Hz (A-42c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1725 10-1-00 36.625" 764.0Hz (G-45c)
Details of the Previous Bells
1 Thomas Hedderly, Nottingham 1783
2 Newcombe, Leicester 1612 4¾cwt, 29.25" 1108.0Hz (C#-1c)
3 Thomas Hedderly, Nottingham 1783 5-3-18
|The Bells From Above||The Bells||The Clock Bell|
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West|