Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

MONKS KIRBY St Edith 8, 24-2-7 in D

Grid Reference 140/463831 Monks Kirby Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV23 0RE
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday On a Rota
Practice Tuesday 1945-2115

History

Found just off the Fosse Way this is a very impressive church that dominates the village. As its name implies it used to be a monastery, but Henry VIII saw to that! The parish church is what remains, there being archaeological evidence of further buildings such as cloisters. The entrance is inside, through the South Door, but linger to look at the church itself before climbing the stairs. Locally the church is often known as St Editha, as is Tamworth, for instance.

The church stands on the summit of a small mound, on the south side of a large churchyard planted with avenues of yew trees. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles and chapels, south porch with a parvise, vestry, and a tower built into the south-west corner of the church. It was rebuilt in the latter part of the 14th century and again towards the end of the 15th century, when the present arcades were built, the upper part of the tower rebuilt, and most of the windows replaced. The priory buildings were on the north side of the chancel; part of them were embodied in the church during the 15th-century reconstruction to form the chapel. Apart from the blocked openings, a door jamb, offsets for an upper floor against the chapel, and the line of a steep roof on the north wall of the chancel, nothing remains of the priory buildings. About the end of the 16th century the church was re-roofed; it was re-leaded in 1709, according to a cast lead inscription removed from the roof in the 19th century, now fixed to the east wall of the parvise. The general arrangement of the church is somewhat unusual, the nave, until recent times, extended into the chancel without a chancel arch or other line of demarcation except, no doubt, a screen. Although the church is lofty there is no clearstory, but the windows are placed at an unusual height above the floor. The tower is tall and exceptionally large. When the upper part was rebuilt in the 15th century it included a tall octagonal spire; this was blown down on Christmas night 1722.

The bells themselves are magnificent and should be on any itinerary of this area. The then anticlockwise 6 were hung in a new, clockwise, cast iron lowside frame with new fittings by Taylors, 1921. At the same time all 6 existing bells were quarter turned.  The tenor weighed 26-0-18 before it was tuned. The bells had been previously rehung by John Over of Rugby in 1795. The Bell News of November 15th 1902 notes that the ring of 6 was not in perfection condition!

"Monks Kirby (Warwickshire).— On Saturday, October 4th, a band of ringers from Coventry journeyed by brake to the above place to have a pull on the fine-toned ring of six bells, but owing to the bad go of them only a few plain courses of Grandsire Doubles could be rung. W . H. Rees, S. Hope, W . Mannd, H . Horwood, J. H. W hite, E . Johnson. Also several touches with A. Flowers and G. Burton standing in. It is a great pity that such a fine ring of bells should hang in such a bad condition, it being impossible to ring for any length of time."  "Church Bells" magazine has a very similar report, though it suggests that a peal was attempted.   A report of ringing there in 1912 shows that the bells were still difficult to ring and said to be suffering from neglect.

The inscriptions at this time are given in Tilley and Walters' book, "The Church Bells of Warwickshire":

The dedication of the rehung and augmented ring is reported in The Ringing World of June 24th 1921:


(Click to enlarge)

The first peal was rung soon afterwards:

There were a number of peals rung in quick succession. The (ringing) vicar stated at a Guild meeting in September 1924: "....., in reply, said how pleased Mrs. Oliver and himself were to welcome the Guild. They would have liked to see more present., but no doubt the very wet afternoon kept some away. He also said he very much regretted to have to refuse the bells on several occasions recently for peals. Complaints had been received that too much peal ringing had been going on. and although he himself loved to hear the bells rung, he did not wish the bells to become unpopular, and. therefore, he had reluctantly stipulated that attempts for peals must in future be limited to once a month."

In the mid-1970s everything was getting in a pretty neglected state and the bells were seldom rung, but they have overhauled since the tower has had an active band. The seventh was previously cast in 1707 by Abraham Rudall, but required recasting some 34 years later.

The tower was featured in The Ringing World of January 9th 1987:

(Click to enlarge)

The Denbigh Arms opposite the church is not just somewhere to park your car. It has nice food and a good selection of real ale!

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough   1921   6-0-20  30.375"  1158.0Hz (D-28c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough   1921   7-3-00  32.625"  1095.0Hz (C#-22c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe         1640   8-0-17  34.438"   974.0Hz (B-24c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston          1711   9-0-23  37.063"   870.0Hz (A-20c)
5 Worcester foundry               c1400  12-3-10  41.375"   775.0Hz (G-20c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester         1623  16-0-16  44.25"    730.0Hz (F#-24c)
7 Thomas Eayre, Kettering          1741  19-2-17  48.25"    651.0Hz (E-22c)
8 Hugh Watts II, Leicester         1618  24-2-07  52.375"   579.5Hz (D-23c)

monks_kirby_tomb.jpg monks_kirby_tomb2
The Medieval Tombs
 The Church - Looking East. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson
The Church - Looking East

You are here: Home Rings M-O Monks Kirby