MARTON, St Esprit 3, 9½cwt in F# - Unringable
History Of The Bells
This Grade II* listed church is the only church in the country dedicated to St Esprit (The Holy Spirit in French). The known history of the church goes back to 1155/60, though an earlier church probably existed on the site. The church was built between about 1160 and 1291, with a vicarage being "ordained" in c.1277. The church was in a bad state of repair in the mid-nineteenth century and large parts of it were demolished in 1870. Small parts of the the church were incorporated in the new building, which was designed by George Punshion of Leamington Spa.
These bells are unringable due to tatty wheels and heavily-worn un-quarter-turned bells. Frame & fittings are by George Watson of Napton - 1831; truss 6.A and layout 3.1. They are all maiden bells, retaining their canons and cast in crown staples. They only just survived a fire in 1879.
There is a chiming manual in the first floor of the tower, made by the Vicar's Warden, Thomas Walker, in 1919.
Details of the Bells
1 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1624 6cwt 32.50" 937.5Hz (A#+10c)
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1623 7½cwt 35.625" 861.5Hz (G#+63c)
3 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1616 9cwt 38.125" 748.0Hz (F#+19c
|Views of the Bells|