Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

MANCETTER St Peter 5, 20½cwt in Eb Anticlockwise

Grid Reference 140/320697 Mancetter Church - Source Aidan MacRae Thomson
Postcode CV9 1NJ
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1000-1030 & 1800-1830 (Check)
Practice Monday 1930-2100 (1st only - Check)

History

This is a well kept church just on the south-west side of Atherstone. The tower is clearly visible on the left of the road from the A5 going towards the town. The A5 being part of the Warwickshire/ Leicestershire border means the tower with a spire close to the right side of the road is Witherley, only a few hundred yards from St Peter's, but in a different county and Diocese! There is a church car park up the road between the church and the next door pub. Entrance is via a door on the south side of the tower, the opposite side to the car park.

The church consists of a comparatively long chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and west tower with a modern vestry north of it. The walls are built of various local stones and the roofs are tiled. There is evidence of 12th-century origin in the masonry of the chancel walls, but apparently nave and chancel were remodelled or rebuilt fairly early in the 13th century. In the second half of the 13th century a north aisle was built, with the arcade of three bays, but it was widened to its present limits nearly a century later. The south aisle and arcade seem to have been complete additions of the early 15th century. One peculiar feature is that the nave-angles (except the north-western) have buttresses that are not in line with the arcades but outside them, as though the nave was originally wider and the arcades were built within the church before the side walls were pulled down.

The bells go well, having had some attention fairly recently from Eayre and Smith, a ring beam being put into strengthen the tower. The tenor was rehung on a new headstock in 2004/5.

A wonderful belfry with five bells of great beauty and interest. The frame is by Thomas Eayre of Kettering, at a cost of £76 in 1751, there being a still unfilled pit for a treble! Fittings are by Mears & Stainbank, 1928, costing £128. All the bells, which have each been quarter turned, retain their canons and are, with the exception of the third, listed.

Worth a visit!

Details of the Bells

1 Thomas Hancox, Walsall          1633   8cwt   36.00"  962.0Hz B-46c
2 Leicester                      C15th   9cwt   36.93"  862.0Hz A-36c
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester        1641  10cwt   39.50"  805.5Hz G#-53c
4 John Hose, Leicester           c1350  15cwt   44.75"  721.5Hz F#-44c
5 George Oldfield I, Nottingham   1647  20½cwt  48.56"  640.5Hc E-50c

Photo Gallery

The Church - Looking East. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson The Church - Looking West. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West

You are here: Home Rings M-O Mancetter