Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

CHILVERS COTON All Saints 10, 13-1-24 in F#

Grid Reference 140/363908 Chilvers Coton Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV11 4LU
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday None
Practice None - District 10-bell practice first Monday of each month -
contact Geoff Pratt,  Tel: 024 7673 0154  not the church, for details

History

This church is situated on the Coventry side of Nuneaton and can be missed by the unwary. It is just off the A444 by a large roundabout over which a railway viaduct stands. The church consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north-east organ-chamber, north-west vestry, and a west tower.  The chancel, and probably also the nave, date from the second half of the 13th century. The north aisle was added in 1837. The south aisle was an earlier addition and has 13th-century masonry at the east end, suggesting that there was a transept of this period which was afterwards lengthened to form an aisle.  This was almost entirely rebuilt and a new arcade inserted in 1889–91. The organ-chamber and vestry are of the same date. The west tower was added in the 15th century. The clasping buttresses in the lower part are unusual for this period and may indicate an earlier origin.

This church is well known as the author George Eliot, (Mary Ann Evans) was born in this parish and the tenor bell was cast in her memory. The church itself suffered much damage during WWII and was rebuilt by German prisoners of war. There is a grave stone in front of the tower that shows signs of shrapnel damage and near it a stone noting the names of the German POWs that helped in the rebuilding of the church.

The bells were firstly augmented from 3 to 8 in the 1907, (the existing bells, tenor being 6-3-3, being recast with facsimile inscriptions on 6, 7 & 8. These were all by Hugh Watts of Leicester, treble and tenor 1616 and the middle bell 1639), and then further to 10. The back eight were rehung on ball bearings in 1944 and the new trebles, cast in 1946, were added in 1947 (dedicated on 17 May 1947.) Bells 1 and 3 are hung above in the new frame of 1946-7.

There is a piece of timber from the old frame - dated 1601 - preserved in the ringing room, very early for a dated frame. There is an Ellacombe chiming apparatus in the intermediate chamber. The clock chimes are removed via the use of an electonic switch situated behind the treble.

The entrance is on the South side of the tower and there is parking in the in the car park for residents of the next door retirement homes. Additonal parking on the west side of the churchyard, up the B4113 "Coventry Road" or in the Crafts Centre car park on the opposite of the road at the east end of the church, on the A4524, "Avenue Road".

Details of the Bells

 1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1946   3-1-09  23.125"  1874.0Hz (A#+9c)
 2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1946   3-2-14  24.00"   1673.0Hz (G#+12c)
 3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   3-2-27  24.50"   1491.0Hz (F#+13c)
 4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   3-3-14  25.50"   1401.0Hz (E#+5c)
 5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   4-1-07  27.50"   1244.0Hz (D#-1c)
 6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   4-3-10  29.25"   1114.0Hz (C#+8c)
 7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   6-0-03  32.00"    990.5Hz (B+5c)
 8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   7-0-23  34.00"    933.0Hz (A#+1c)
 9 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907   9-1-12  37.50"    836.0Hz (G#+11c)
10 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1907  13-1-24  42.50"    743.0Hz (F#+7c)

Photo Gallery

coton_old_small coton1908_small
The Old Bells
Removed 1908
The New Bells at
Taylors Foundry
coton2_small coton3_small
The church, looking east
Note the fibreboard ceiling.
A grave stone showing
shrapnel damage
coton_plan_small
Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings M-O Nuneaton (Chilvers Coton)