Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

Leamington Hastings, All Saints, Warwickshire 5, 15-3-21 in E

Grid Reference: 151/445676 Leamington Hastings
Postcode: CV23 8DY
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals: Felstead Database
Sunday On a rota
Practice Night: Friday 1930-2100

History

The church consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles and porches, and west tower. Built about the middle of the 13th century, it then consisted of a chancel, nave, and south aisle, and soon afterwards a north chapel was added. At the beginning of the 14th century the nave and south aisle were extended by the addition of two bays, and a small south porch was erected. About the end of that century the north chapel was extended to form the north aisle, and the tower and north porch were built. In 1677 the chancel was entirely rebuilt, a clearstory added to the nave, the windows in the south aisle replaced and the aisles re-roofed. In 1703 much of the south side of the church was rebuilt and the south porch was extended. In 1875 extensive repairs were carried out, the chancel re-roofed, reusing some of the old timbers, the stonework of the three large windows in the north aisle replaced, and the open timber roof of the nave concealed by a flat matchboarded ceiling.

In a nice rural setting this church is well kept by the congregation. The tower contains a lovely ring of 5 bells that go well and are to be recommended as a place to visit. They were originally a heavy four (tenor 22-1-20) until 1851 when the old tenor was scrapped, the metal being used to cast two new trebles, the net cost to the parish being £54. They were retuned and rehung in a cast iron, single level. "H" frame by Taylors in 1936. The treble and second have been quarter turned and the rest one eighth turned.

There is a sanctus bell, dated 1677 weighing 0-2-2 in D that was hung for swing chiming in a light steel frame fixed to the top members of the main bellframe. All the bells in the tower retain their canons. These were a ground floor ring until summer 2000.

Enter by the north door. Limited parking on the road by the church. There is also a church car park to the south of the church, just by the sharp bend in the road. This church is frequently used for concerts, having very good acoustics.

Details Of The Bells

1  C & G Mears, London       1851   8-1-07  35.875"  983.5Hz (B-7c)
2  C & G Mears, London       1851   9-3-21  38.875"  874.0Hz (A-12c)
3  Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1620  11-0-21  39.25"   818.5Hz (G#-25c)
4  Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1631  12-0-09  40.50"   736.0Hz (F#-9c)
5  Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1615  15-3-21  45.375"  655.5Hz (E-10c)

Photo Gallery

The East End. Source: rogbi200 Plan of the Church. Source: British History Online
The East End A Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings J-L Leamington Hastings