LEA MARSTON St John the Baptist 3, 6-1-8 in B - Anticlockwise
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
History Of The Bells
There is evidence of a church being here in 1252. The church was enlarged in the fifteenth century. In 1876-77 the chancel was rebuilt and the north-west tower was added
Hung for ringing, anticlockwise, in a wooden frame, possibly from 1793, therefore pre-dating the current tower, as this is carved into the frame alonsdie the intials "T P", with fittings supplied in 1907 by James Barwell of Birmingham, at a cost of £33/2/6. These bells are perfectly ringable. There looks to be room for 2 bells swinging at 90 degrees to the existing 3. Any offers? These, however, would need some time on the tuning machine in order to bring them into a diatonic scale - listen and find out how much!
The tuning figures, supplied by Bill Hibbert are very roughly as follows (hum, prime, tierce, nominal):
Treble : 322 589 746 1254
Second: 293 571 664 1059
Tenor : 270 464 589 985
Therefore, the three nominals are D#+ 13c, C + 21, B - 5. The spacing of the bells from treble to second to tenor is roughly 3 semitones and 1 semitone. This is not a combination that occurs in a major diatonic scale. The middle bell is a semitone flat of where it "should" be.
The present tenor replaces one cast in 1629, weighing 5-2-7. Vestry records show that by 1873 the treble had been cracked for some time. The bells were transferred and the old frame and fittings reused when the new tower was built. They all retain their canons. The two tenors have been quarter turned, the treble not having been turned.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1873 5-1-13 29.50" 1254.0Hz (D#+12c)
2 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1791 5½ cwt 30.25" 1059.0Hz (C+21c)
3 John Taylor & Son, Loughborough 1855 6-1-08 32.50" 985.0Hz (B-5c)
|The Treble||The Second||The Tenor|