Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

LADBROKE All Saints 5, 13-1-22 in F#

Grid Reference 151/414589 Ladbroke Church - Source: David Kelly
Postcode CV47 2DF
Recording None Available
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1000-1030 (1st)  0830-0900 (Others)
Practice Tuesday 1900-2030
Other Information Church Website

History

A nice church in a nice village. The 13th-century church, which probably consisted of a chancel and nave, was entirely rebuilt in the 14th-century with north and south aisles and west tower. All that remains of the earlier church is the lower portion of the chancel. Late in the 15th century the nave and chancel were raised and clearstory windows inserted. It was restored and reroofed in 1876 by Sir Gilbert Scott.

Repairs to the old bells were carried out by Mears & Stainbank in 1935 and 1949. The present bells replace a much lighter ring of four, tenor 7-3-2, which comprised one mediaeval bell and three by Henry Bagley dated 1656. The tenor was cast without canons and the rest with. The bells were rehung in the existing single level oak frame by Taylors in April 2000 - so they go well. The canons have now been removed from the front four bells and they all have been quarter turned. A large clock case in the ringing room means augmentation would be difficult and expensive.

As a matter of interest, the bookmakers "Ladbroke's" was named after this village - not a lot of people know that!

The church website states:-

"The bells of All Saints’ Ladbroke date back beyond 1552 when 3 bells were hung in the tower. A 4th was added in 1656 and finally the 5th arrived in 1750. By 1872 they were in such a poor state that they could no longer be rung, so in 1873 all 5 were recast into their present state by Taylors of Loughborough

At the time of recasting, the 1st bell (the treble and lightest at 330kgms) was found to be cracked and bound up with iron. Its wheel and frame were rotten. It bears the motto Cantate Dominum Canticum Novum (Sing to the Lord a new song) and has a rope border ornament.

The 2nd bell, a liitle heavier at 385kgms has old English characters that indicate the casting at 1450. By 1873 it was cracked throughout, its wheel and frame gone and the stock rotten. Its motto reads Sancta Caterina Sona Pro Nobis (Saint Catherine sound for us).

The 3rd bell 432 kgms was also cracked. It had an inscription to Henry Baglee and the notto Domine Salvam Fac Ecclesiam (O Lord make safe the church).

Finally the 5th bell (sic) at 745kgms easily the heaviest, the tenor bell which was added in 1750 had an inscription added at the recasting To The Glory of God and in memory of John Sabi Smith, liet:45th Regiment: who died in Burma August 10 1872."   (This should actually refer to the tenor of 4, not 5)

Details of the Bells

                                         After    Before
                                         Tuning   Tuning
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1873   5-3-08   6-2-00  31.375" 1095.0Hz (C#-22c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1873   6-2-14   7-2-09  33.50"   977.0Hz (B-19c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1873   7-2-14   8-2-00  35.50"   922.0Hz (A#-19c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1873   9-2-08  10-2-14  38.25"   825.0Hz (G#-12c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1873  13-1-22  14-2-18  43.50"   733.0Hz (F#-16c)

Photo Gallery

The Church - Looking East. Source: Mary Hine The Church - Looking East. Source: jmc4
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West

You are here: Home Rings J-L Ladbroke