KINGS NORTON* St Nicolas 10, 17-1-6 in E
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild &
Worcs & Districts Assoc
|Other Information||Church Website|
History Of The Bells
This is one of a number of Birmingham churches that were formerly not within the county of Warwickshire. It was historically in Worcestershire and it therefore has links with the associations based in both Birmingham and Worcester. A relatively small village, it grew when it was linked to elsewhere by firstly the canal system in 1796 and subsequently the railway. From 1898 it was part of the King's Norton and Northfield Urban District until added to Birmingham in 1911 by the Greater Birmingham Act. Hence, it was geographically in Warwickshire, but never administered from Warwick; Birmingham being a Country Borough.
The church itself was originally built by the Normans. It was extensively rebuilt in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and the magnificent tower and spire was added in the fifteenth century. There were further major works to the church in the 1860s and 1870s.
Today the tower contains a good ring of 10 cast in the mid-1920s, but hung in an earlier composite frame. The frame was installed by Taylors in 1892 and afterwards reconstructed for 10 bells by the same firm.
In the 1552 survey there were four bells in the tower. Subsequently, a ring of 6 was cast, probably by William Bagley in around 1690. In 1783 the Bagley bells were replaced by a new ring of eight, the tenor being approx. 15 cwt. The new bells were cast by Chapman and Mears of Whitechapel.
The fifth was broken in an accident and was recast by Thomas Mears of Whitechapel in 1826. The seventh and treble bells were recast in 1867 by Blews and Sons of Birmingham. The sixth was replaced by a stock bell by Taylors in 1892, at which time the ring was rehung. Taylors recast the fourth in 1905 and this is the only bell that remains in the ring today, as the sixth. The ring, apart from the fourth, was recast in 1924 and augmented to 10 within two years.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1926 4-2-11 25.00" 1658.0Hz (G#-3c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1926 4-3-22 26.00" 1480.0Hz (F#+0c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 4-1-11 27.125" 1315.0Hz (E-5c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 4-2-11 28.00" 1240.0Hz (D#6c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 5-2-21 30.375" 1104.5Hz (C#-7c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 6-3-13 33.125" 983.5Hz (B-7c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 7-1-19 34.875" 877.0Hz (A-6c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 9-1-11 37.125" 828.0Hz (G#-5c)
9 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 13-0-06 41.125" 737.0Hz (F#-7c)
10 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 17-1-06 45.875" 656.0Hz (E-9c)
Details of the Bells in 1924
1 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1867 5-1-07 29.00" 1420.0Hz
2 Chapman & Mears, London 1783 5-1-20 29.875" 1288.0Hz
3 Chapman & Mears, London 1783 5-3-11 31.50" 1211.0Hz
4 Chapman & Mears, London 1783 6-3-18 33.875" 983.5Hz
5 Thomas Mears, London 1826 8-2-13 37.25" 918.0Hz
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 10-1-07 37.375" 854.0Hz
7 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1867 11-2-11 40.875" 788.0Hz
8 Chapman & Mears, London 1783 14-1-18 45.125" 706.0Hz
|The Church - Looking East|