HONINGTON All Saints 6, 11cwt in Ab (GF)
History Of The Bells
This estate church is just off the old A34, now the A3400 - look for the signpost just south of Tredington. The square west tower is constructed in a limestone ashlar dated to around 1275 - 1300. The rest of the church is built in a classical style to resemble a London church of the 17th century (circa 1680). It was built the same time as the large country house of Honington Hall which it adjoins. The painted interior has several interesting monuments including a double statue to Sir Henry and his son 1713.
These are a ring of 6 rung from the ground floor. They were probably cast as a ring of five by Bagley and augmented by Rudhall to six in 1810. It is likely that this new bell was originally cast for Newnham on Severn, where the treble and tenor bells had proven to be unsatisfactory. Previously, the fourth required recasting in 1726.
The wooden frame and fittings are by Thomas Mallaby & Sons of Masham, 1892 (cost £90). The bells have been quarter turned and retain their canons.
The entrance is at the base of the tower and not through the church.
The bells go reasonably well, some much needed routine maintenance being carried out recently.
Details of the Bells
1 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1810 4½cwt 29.00" 1371.5Hz (F-32c)
2 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 5cwt 29.875" 1239.5Hz (Eb-7c)
3 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 5¾cwt 31.75" 1080.5Hz (Db-45c)
4 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester 1726 6½cwt 33.125" 1040.5Hz (C-10c)
5 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 8cwt 37.00" 908.0Hz (Bb-46c)
6 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 11cwt 40.75" 812.5Hz (Ab-38c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West||The infamous 'ugliest
cherub in Warwickshire'
with his mishapen
cranium, on the monument
to Joseph Townsend (d.1793).