HENLEY IN ARDEN St John the Baptist 6, 11-3-4 in G
(Occasionally at Beaudesert)
History Of The Bells
Set right in the middle of this nice South Warwickshire village, you cannot miss this C15th church. With plenty of nice shops and pubs this is a ideal place to linger a while.
The bells were re-hung in 1991 and now go more easily than they formerly did. Eayre & Smith reused the cast iron headstocks fitted by Barwells of Birmingham when they rehung the bells in 1910. A piece of timber dated 1674 in the ringing room came from the old frame - but the frame itself was of slightly later date, the dated timber (having been reused "inverted" in the later frame). The clock pendulum swings between the treble and fourth in the ringing room!
They hang in a steel and cast iron frame for six. All bells have had their canons removed and have been turned.
The entrance is inside the church via the main door. There is plenty of on-street parking around the market place.
Details of the Bells
1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1727 5-0-12 29.25" 1292.0Hz (E-35c)
2 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 4-3-20 30.125" 1190.5Hz (D+23c)
3 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 5-3-00 31.75" 1028.5Hz (C-30c)
4 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 6-3-07 34.375" 967.0Hz (B-37c)
5 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 8-0-25 37.125" 860.5Hz (A-39c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1727 11-3-04 41.00" 774.0Hz (G-22c)
|The Church -Looking East||The Church - Looking West|