Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

HAMPTON IN ARDEN* SS Mary & Bartholomew 8, 12-0-22 in G

Grid Reference 139/203808 Hampton in Arden Church - Source St Martin's Guild
Postcode B92 0AT
Recording None Available
Affiliation St Martin's Guild
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1000-1030
Practice Monday 2000-2100

History Of The Bells

These bells were cast for St.John's, Miles Platting, Manchester, where they replaced a ring of six, tenor 11-1-10, whih supplied by Warners in 1872. This church was built at the expense of Sir Benjamin Haywood and was in Italian Romanesque style with a north west campanile. It was very "high"church. There were problems with tower oscillation. The recasting was paid for by Sir A.P. Heywood, the first President of the "Central Council" and Sir Benjamin's grandson.

This church was reported in 1967 to be suffering from settlement and its demolition authorised in 1971; the last service being on Easter Sunday 1973. It was replaced by a modern church without a tower. The bells became available for transfer after the demolition was authorised and the Miles Platting bells were last rung in 1973, when a peal after the final service failed. They were acquired for Hampton in 1975-6. They are hung in a cast iron frame incorporating H castings from the Miles Platting frame, with new steelwork. The fittings are also mainly from Miles Platting, but Taylors replaced the former (steel) headstocks of the two trebles and rehung the whole ring on ball bearings when they were transferred here in 1975-6.

There were 3 bells here by 1552, but when Henry Oldfield recast the two tenor bells at Walsall in 1629 there were now four, 13-1-3. The treble was recast by Hugh Watts of Leicester in 1634. The bells were destroyed when the spire was hit by lightening on St Andrew's Day 1643. The spire was never rebuilt, but some work was done to the bells by 1654, possibly by John Martin of Worcester. The bells were recast into ring of six by Joseph Smith of Edgbaston, 1725, being rehung in a composite frame by Barwell of Birmingham in 1907 and later rehung on ball bearings by Taylors. These bells were transferred in 1976-7, to Nether Whitacre (q.v.).

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   3-0-12 23.625"  1546.0Hz (G-24c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   3-1-01 24.375"  1449.0Hz (F#-37c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   3-2-25 26.00"   1290.0Hz (E-38c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   4-1-06 28.00"   1159.0Hz (D-23c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   5-0-21 30.50"   1030.0Hz (C-28c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   6-2-01 32.50"    967.0Hz (B-37c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912   8-0-25 36.125"   869.0Hz (A-22c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1912  12-0-22 40.375"   771.5Hz (G-28c)

Photo Gallery

 
Hampton Church - Looking East - Source: Mapio Hampton Church Plan - Source: British History Online
The Church - Looking East A Plan of the Church 

You are here: Home Rings F-I Hampton in Arden