Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

FRANKTON 4, 8½cwt in Ab (Anticlockwise) - Unringable

Grid Reference 140/423701 Frankton Church - Source: Our Warwickshire
Postcode CV23 9PJ
Recording None Available
Affiliaton Coventry DG
Peals None
Sunday None
Practice None
Other Information Anticlockwise. Unringable

History Of The Bells

The tower, which is the oldest part of the building, was built in two stages. The lower part dates from the 13th century and is made of limestone rubble with sandstone quoins. There are narrow pointed windows in the south and west walls of the ringing chamber. At the lower level there is a window in the west wall with two pointed lights, probably inserted in the restoration work of 1872, under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott. The upper part of the tower, containing the bell chamber, was built in the 15th century in sandstone, with a string course between the newer and older parts. The embattled parapet has pinnacles, at the four comers, replaced in 1976.  The nave, south aisle and chancel were all rebuilt in the 14th century, probably using the original materials, which match the lower part of the tower. The east end of the chancel has been rebuilt later, mainly in red brick and probably 18th century. The two windows in the side of the south aisle have been reconstructed but have original jambs. The three-light window at the east end of the aisle replaces an earlier one and probably dates from 1872. At this time the roofs of the nave and chancel were raised and two small clerestory windows inserted in the south wall of the nave. Most other windows were restored in 1872, and the vestry on the north side of the chancel was probably added at the same date.

An old and interesting installation, parts of the frame being of 14th century date. The frame was remodelled in the 17th century. The fittings are largely of 18th century date, some work being carried out by John Standlyt of Martin in 1777 at a cost of £10 3s 0d. The treble swings east to west on the south side of the frame and the other three North - South in three parallel pits, second, then tenor. then third. The rope circle is therefore anticlockwise.

The bells retain their canons and have not been quarter-turned. They are sounded by an Ellacombe chiming apparatus supplied by Taylors in 1950.

There has, once in a while, been a hope that the bells may be restored, but certainly nothing is imminent.

Details of the Bells

1 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1636  3¾cwt  27.50"  1158.0Hz (D-25c)
2 Newcombe, Leicester       1607  4½cwt  28.50"  1037.0Hz (C-16c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1623  6cwt   32.625"  946.0Hz (Bb+25c)
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1616  8½cwt  34.25"   847.0Hz (Ab+34c)

 Photo Gallery

Frankton - Looking East -Source: A MacRae Thompson
The Church - Looking East
You are here: Home Rings F-I Frankton