Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

FILLONGLEY St Mary and All Saints 8, 10-3-23 in F

Grid Reference 140/281872 Fillongley Church - Source: Mapio
Postcode CV7 8EY
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0945-1030 (1 & 3)
Practice Friday 1945-2100

History

A nice church on the road from Coventry via Kingsbury towards Tamworth. Being next to the main road it cannot be missed. It is slightly unusual that one of the bells was cast during the Commonwealth, (a John Martin bell of 1654, cast at Coleshill and also in the time of the Commonwealth, was recast in 1896 at which time the bells were rehung and augmented to six).

The oldest surviving part of the fabric is the lower part of the chancel, which retains some 12th-century masonry and vestiges of a triplet of east windows. The chancel was largely rebuilt on the old foundations and lower masonry, c. 1340. The south wall appears to have been again rebuilt in the 15th century. The lower part of the west tower dates from the 13th century. The nave is unusually wide (31 ft.) for a church of this size and, except for the 13th-century south doorway, the walls and details are of the same date as the remodelling of the chancel (c. 1340). But there are indications by vertical straight joints and seams in the west wall that it was originally narrower—15 to 16 ft. —and it is probable that it had arcades and that the 14th-century side walls were originally the outer walls of narrow aisles, some 5 or 6 ft. in width. The broadening of the main body, whether by the removal of arcades or by moving out the side walls, is certainly not consistent with 14th-century practice, but it was obviously done before or at the time the clearstory was added. This is of the style normally not later than c. 1500. But an inscription on the west wall, 'EXTRVCTVM F[V]IT 1594', may possibly refer to the alterations, if the clearstory was built at that time in the style of a century earlier. More probably the date is in connexion with the final removal of responds or stumps of walling in a 'tidying up' of the masonry. So far as is known no reused or loose fragments of the arcades have been discovered. Plan of Fillongley Church The north chapel was built probably as an entirely new addition late in the 15th century, and the upper part of the tower is of about the same period.

Local enthusiasm has resulted in the original six being rehung on ball bearings in 1992 and two trebles added to complete the octave in time for the Millennium. At this time the existing trebles were moved into new framework added alongside the existing frame, using traditional stays and sliders and the new trebles put into the old treble pits which were converted to stays and sliders. The back four bells remain with hastings stays. The Taylor bells were cast without canons and those on the older bells have been removed. The four old bells have been quarter turned.

The tenor nominal is 716Hz, midway between F natural and F# - very slightly closer to F than F#

These fine bells were regarded as unringable from 1935 to 1975 owing to concern about the tower. This was fixed some time ago and the whole tower was repointed in 2006-7.

The entrance is on the north side of the tower. Parking can be a little difficult - there is a small car park uphill on the main road. Otherwise, park against the church wall in Church Lane, to the south (downhill) of the church.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1998   4-2-02  26.625"  1431.0Hz (F+42c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1998   4-3-02  27.50"   1352.0Hz (E+43c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1896   6-0-01  30.00"   1197.0Hz (D+33c)
4 Bryan Eldridge II, Coventry     1658   6-0-03  31.50"   1075.0Hz (C+47c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1896   6-3-15  33.50"    955.0Hz (Bb+42c)
6 Edward Arnold, Leicester        1795   7-0-27  35.00"    899.0Hz (A+37c)
7 Hugh Watts II, Leicester        1628   9-1-14  38.00"    805.0Hz (G+46c)
8 Edward Arnold, Leicester        1791  10-3-23  42.00"    716.0Hz (F+43c)

Photo Gallery

fillongley2nd_tower_small fillongley4th_small
The Second Bell The Fourth Bell 
fillongley_west_small fillongley_west_small
The Sanctuary The Church - Looking East 
fillongley_east_small fillongley_chest_small
The Church - Looking West The Parish Chest 
fillongley_plan_small 
Plan of the Church  

You are here: Home Rings F-I Fillongley