ERDINGTON* St.Barnabas 8, 15-1-15 in F
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
|Other Information||Church Website|
History Of The Bells
The church itself is in the shopping centre area of town. It was built in 1822-4, designed by Thomas Rickman, as a chapel of ease to Aston, consecrated in July of 1824. It became a parish in its own right in 1858. The church was enlarged in 1882-3 and re-ordered in 1985-6. Shortly after the church was opened a single bell, cast Thomas Mears in 1825 and weighing 12-2-7 (in F#), was installed for ringing in the tower.
The church was famous for its eight stained glass windows depicting scenes of the life of Jesus and stories from the scriptures, including the Raising of Lazarus, The Resurrection, The Good Samaritan and St Paul and St Barnabas, which were also designed by Thomas Rickman. All but one were destroyed in the 2007 fire. The main photograph on this page shows the church prior to this fire.
In 1890 a set of tubular bells was installed, but these did not last long. (They were moved to Water Orton, where they no longer remain.) The tubes, along with the single bell, were replaced by a ring of bells within 14 years. The ring hang in a two tier frame (5th above) manufactured by Taylors 1903. They were cast, all with flat tops, on 13 December 1903 and dedicated on 21 February 1904. They were given in memory of Mary Proctor Ryland, who died on 2 November 1903, and the faculty was issued on 22 December 1903. So it was a bit of a rush job!
They were rehung on ball bearings by Taylors in two stages, in 1946 (6-7) and 1959 (the rest). There are a few municipal car parks close to the church and the odd car is able to park in the churchyard itself.
A major fire, believed to be arson, in October of 2007 destroyed the roof and interior of the church. The bells were left untouched. The church interior has been remodelled, work starting in January 2011, and re-opened in time for Christmas 2012. The work was carried out by Linfords, a company owned by a bellringer! As part of this work a cafe area as been recreated.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 4-3-12 26.75" 1411.0Hz (F+17c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 5-0-08 27.375" 1324.0Hz (E+7c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 5-2-22 29.875" 1179.0Hz (D+6c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 6-0-07 31.50" 1056.0Hz (C+16c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 7-1-27 34.25" 938.5Hz (Bb+11c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 7-3-17 35.50" 884.5Hz (A+9c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 11-0-09 39.625" 792.0Hz (G+18c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1903 15-1-15 44.50" 704.0Hz (F+14c)
|A closer view of
the new South Aislde
|The church interior|