CUBBINGTON St Mary 6, 10-1-19 in G (GF)
History Of The Bells
Arelatively new ring of 6, this church is now part of "Greater Leamington Spa". These were a ringable four before rehanging and augmentation by Taylors in 1971, the second being recast to become the fourth of the new ring. The new bells have flat tops and the canons for the older bells have been removed. The bells go well and are suitable for the less experienced ringer.
The third and also the now recast 4th were cast at the Watts foundry. However, as Hugh WattsII died in 1643 either the date on the bells are both wrong, which is not likely, or more likely the bell was cast in his premises by a successor. This would possibly be his son, also called Hugh, or his foreman George Curtis who was described as a bellfounder in the burial record of 5th September 1650 at St Martin's church Leicester (now the Cathedral), suggesting that there was still some bellfounding activity in the city at a time when the Civil War had meant a large reduction in the amount of work that was available.
The entrance is from the south side and there is parking by the churchyard wall. There is a nice pub to the east of the church.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1971 3-2-13 25.875" 1304.0Hz (E-19c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1971 4-0-02 27.50" 1161.0Hz (D-20c)
3 Sucessor to Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1646 4-2-20 29.50" 1025.0Hz (C-36c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1971 5-2-20 32.00" 975.0Hz (B-23c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1626 8-0-17 35.00" 869.0Hz (A-22c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1640 10-1-19 39.50" 772.0Hz (G-27c)
|The Ringing Area -
Decorated for the
Guild Ringing Competition
Final in 2014.
|The East End
of the Church
Spencer Hicks, Arthur Hickman,
Alan Rose, Ernie Taylor,
Walter Levy. (1950s)
|The bells being removed in 1969|