Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

CLIFFORD CHAMBERS St Helen 6; 7-3-2 in A (GF)

Grid Reference 151/198522 Clifford Chambers Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV37 8HT
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 10.30 (2, 3 & 4); 18.00 (5) (Check)
Practice None

History 

There was a priest at Clifford Chambers in 1086 and the parish church was presumably included in Roger de Busli's gift to Gloucester Abbey, for the abbey received a papal confirmation of the church of Clifford in 1200. The parish priest was described as rector in the 13th century. The church is a small building of rubble with a Cotswold stone roof, heavily restored in 1886, comprising nave, chancel with north vestry and organ chamber, west tower, and south porch. The church was rebuilt in the mid-12th century with chancel and nave.  In the 13th century a north transeptal chapel was added to the nave. Part of a blocked 13th-century arch opening to the chapel can be seen in the north wall of the nave.  A west tower was probably added in the late 14th century, of two stages with a moulded string-course and buttresses at the west angles of the lower stage. The battlements, pinnacles, and gargoyles, and the west window of the lower stage, of three trefoilheaded lights with quatrefoil tracery, were added later. The second stage has on three sides windows of two lights with blind tracery. One of the south windows of the chancel was replaced in the 14th century with two trefoiled ogeeheaded lights. In the 15th century some of the windows of the chancel and nave were replaced and it was probably then that the chapel was removed. The south porch was built of timber in the 15th century, and the south doorway retains an apparently contemporary door. About 1600 the roof was rebuilt. A west gallery and pews were added c. 1650.   By 1886 the building was thought unsafe and extensive rebuilding took place to the design of J. Cotton of Birmingham. The chancel was rebuilt and lengthened, the 12th-century chancel arch being replaced by a much larger one in a Victorian Gothic style, the south porch rebuilt, and the vestry and organ chamber were added. The roofs were renewed, buttresses added, a window inserted in the north wall of the nave at the west end, and other windows restored. The gallery was removed and the church reseated. 

In 1771 Matthew Bagley, the last of the line of Bagley bellfounders, cast a ring of 5 for this church. The tenor, 7-3-6, cracked before the bells were installed and it was subsequently recast by Bagley, the tenor then becoming 8-0-14.

The composite frame and fittings for the back five are by Barwell of Birmingham - 1904, with ball bearings fitted by Taylors in 1946. The treble hangs above the others in a separate lowsided frame provided in 1946. At the same time the bells were tuned. The Barwell composite frame is type 7.C.d and layout 5.1. The upper frame is Taylor cast iron lowside. type 8.3.A.h. The two 20th century bells were cast without canons; the others retain their canons. The treble and third have not been turned. The Bagley bells, all of which are "listed", have been quarter-turned.

The village was transferred to Warwickshire from Gloucestershire in 1931. The church was transferred into the Coventry Diocese on 1st May 2001 from the Diocese of Gloucester. There is ample parking by the churchyard wall.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough       1946  3-2-22  25.06"   1146.0Hz  (F#-40c)
2 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton  1771  4-0-27  27.25"   1305.0Hz  (E-18c)
3 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham       1904  4-1-09  28.50"   1165.0Hz  (D-14c)
4 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton  1771  5-0-25  30.00"   1099.0Hz  (C#-15c)
5 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton  1771  5-3-26  31.75"    980.0Hz  (B-14c)
6 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton  1773  7-3-02  35.375"   872.0Hz  (A-16c)

Photo Gallery

chambers_small chambers2_small  
The bellringers on Boxing Day 1901.
Back row, left to right:- John Salmon,
William Radbourne, Clerk Lively,
John Betteridge.
Front row:- Will Lively, Enoch Lively,
George Lines
"Shamrock" and Jack Salmon,
two bellringers in
Clifford Chambers. 1900s
 
cctreble_small cc2_small cctenor_small
The Treble The Fifth The Tenor

You are here: Home Rings C-E Clifford Chambers