CLAVERDON St Michael & All Angels 6, 11-1-23 in F#
History Of The Bells
Set in a pleasant Warwickshire village these bells go well, the ringing chamber being raised from the ground floor in the late 1980s.
The west tower dates from the 15th century. The south aisle was added in 1830, and in 1877–8 the north aisle was added, the nave being rebuilt at the same time, the chancel restored and the north organ-chamber and south chapel added.
Three bells survive from the ring of six supplied by Lester and Pack of Whitechapel in 1757. These replaced a ring of 5. The cost was £289 1s 1d, less £141 5s 0d allowance for the old bells, giving a net cost of £147 16s 1d. They were rehung at a cost of £36 16s 5¼d by Thomas Malin, a local carpenter in 1850 They were rehung again in 1892 by Warners who recast two of the bells, but further work - this time by Taylors - was needed in 1914 when the bells were rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame with new fittings. The cracked 4th was recast with a flat top at this time and the canons removed from the other bells, which were quarter turned. The bells were rehung on ball bearings by Taylor in 1954.
The Rev. H.T. Tilley, the co-author (with H.B. Walters) of The Church Bells of Warwickshire (1910) was Vicar here from 1902-1905. The altar rails were given in his memory and part of the cost of the restoration of the bells in 1914 was met from a bequest by his widow.
Entrance is from inside the church and you can park by the churchyard wall.
Details of the Bells
1 Lester and Pack, Whitechapel 1757 4-2-03 28.375" 1267.0Hz (D#+31c)
2 John Warner & Sons, London 1892 4-3-23 29.75" 1130.0Hz (C#+33c)
3 Lester and Pack, Whitechapel 1757 6-1-01 32.50" 1005.0Hz (B+30c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1914 6-2-20 32.875" 949.0Hz (A#+31c)
5 Lester and Pack, Whitechapel 1757 8-2-04 37.375" 846.0Hz (G#+32c)
6 John Warner & Sons, London 1892 11-1-23 41.50" 755.0Hz (F#+35c)
|The Church, Looking East||The Church, Looking West||The Ringing Room|
|Modern Window in South Aisle||A Tomb in the Sanctuary,
Ususually, it has a Window!