CHURCHOVER Holy Trinity 4, 6cwt in Bb (GF) - UNRINGABLE
History Of The Bells
The last church in the Diocese, with bells, in this direction. The church exterior is largely of 1896-7 when the building was partially rebuilt and heavily restored by W. Bassett Smith. The tower, however, dates from the C15 with a recessed spire and a later parapet. The spire was restored in 1885, 1911 and again in 2008-9 Rescued from "unringability" in 1990 by The Rugby Deanery ringers and friends, nevertheless these bells remained somewhat challenging and the inexperienced often found them too difficult to manage.
The frame and fittings were originally by John Over of Rugby 1804, who sub-contracted the recasting of the third to John Briant of Hertford. This work cost £49. Tilley and Walters report that in 1552 there were "iij bells and a saunce bell" and that in 1750 there were "5 bells"
The tuning of the ring shows them to be approximately the front 4 of a ring of 5. All the bells retain their canons and are untuned. A chiming apparatus was installed in 1948 by W.E. Burnell of Rugby, who supplied similar systems to several churches in the area.
Due to the serious wear on the soundbows the advice is not to allow ringing until quarter turning, removal of cast in crown staples and replacement bearings have been fitted.
Details of the Bells
1 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1622 3cwt 26.125" 1310.5Hz (E-11c)
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1622 4¼cwt 27.625" 1190.5Hz (D+23c)
3 John Briant, Hertford 1803 5cwt 29.75" 1105.0Hz (C#-7c)
4 Newcombe, Leicester c1600 7cwt 33.125" 977.0Hz (Bb-19c)
|The Church - Looking West||The Church - Looking East|