Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

CHURCH LAWFORD St Peter 6, 7-3-5 in Bb (GF)

Grid Reference 140/454763 Church Lawford Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV23 9EG
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday For Morning Service on a rota
Practice Thursday 1930-2100

History

A nice village on the A428 Coventry to Rugby Road a little before Rugby itself. Turn off the main road, signed Church Lawford NOT Long Lawford which is closer to Rugby and which does not have a ring of bells, go into the village and the church is at the end of a dead end street, (unsurprisingly called Church Road!), off to your right. It is a very sturdy looking tower and the church is well kept.

The church stands on the north side of a large churchyard. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, north porch, and a vestry. It was rebuilt in the gothic style in hammer-dressed sandstone ashlar in 1874, and all that has been retained of the previous church is three bays of the 14th-century north arcade, two piscinas, the font, and some fragments of tracery and early-14th-century slabs with foliated crosses built into the tower walls. A low side window and two lancets, redressed and restored have been re-used in the north wall of the chancel.

Before the rebuilding of the church there were three bells, a treble dated 1741, 3-2-8; a middle bell that was mediaeval, 4-3-0; and tenor by Hugh Watts of Leicester 1621 which weighed 4-3-14. In 1872 three new heavier bells were cast by Taylors and the original tenor made into the treble of four. The new bells weighed 5-1-4, 5-2-27 and 8-1-10. All this cost the princely sum of £189 9s 7d.

The bells go well, being rung from the ground floor. Cast iron "H" frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1937. At this time the treble of the existing ring of 4 was recast, with a facsimile inscription and two trebles added and a new frame and fittings were provided. The 1872 bells have been quarter turned and their canons have been removed (hence the lighter than supplied weights); the three trebles being cast with flat tops.

Parking in on the grass by the churchyard gate - careful if it has been wet as you might get stuck - I did!. Entry is by the North door.

The plan for an airport in this area a number of years ago which would, in the event of it being approved, mean the demolition of this village was dropped and the future is now more secure for this church.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1937  3-1-20  24.50"   1553.0Hz (G-17c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1937  3-3-10  26.00"   1393.0Hz (F-5c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1937  4-1-09  27.625"  1232.0Hz (Eb-17c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1872  4-3-20  29.625"  1162.0Hz (D-19c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1872  5-0-22  31.50"   1036.0Hz (C-17c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1872  7-3-05  35.375"   923.5Hz (Bb-16c)
 

Photo Gallery

The Church - Looking East. Source: Mike Chester The Chancel. Source: Mike Chester
The Church - Looking East The Chancel
The Church - Looking West. Source: Mike Chester The Ringing Chamber. Source: Mike Chester
The Church - Looking West The Ringing Chamber

You are here: Home Rings C-E Church Lawford