BURTON HASTINGS St Botolph 5, 6-3-9 in B
|Sunday||1800-1830 Alt - Check|
History Of The Bells
One of the most northerly towers in the Diocese, this is a pretty country church just off the B4109 near to J1 of the M69. It is in the centre of the village, straight on in the middle of a series of sweeping bends. This church has been relatively untouched over the centuries and any more than a congregation of around 75 would really fill it! Some parts of the church date back to the 14th century, but the present nave was built at the beginning of the 16th century. followed by the rebuilding of the tower.
The bells form a nice ring of 5, rung from a small gallery, the stairs being at the left of the photograph. The metal "H" frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1937, at which time the existing tenor, a Newcombe bell of the late sixteenth century, was recast. The frame is layout 5.1, but is set out so that a treble could be added - the current treble's wheel-side H-Frame has a spare bearing plate ready for future augmentation, if this ever happens.
The old bells retain their canons, whilst the new ones were cast with flat heads. The old bells have been quarter turned.
Entrance is from inside the church via the south door and a few cars can park in the road beside the churchyard wall.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-1-18 24.50" 1515.0Hz (F#+40c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-3-01 26.00" 1351.0Hz (E+42c)
3 Bryan Eldridge, Coventry 1657 4-1-06 27.625" 1275.0Hz (D#+42c)
4 Henry Bagley II, Chacombe 1687 5-0-01 29.625" 1135.0Hz (C#+41c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 6-3-09 32.50" 1011.0Hz (B+40c)