BULKINGTON St James 8, 12-1-23 in G
|Sunday||0930-1000 & 1800-1830|
History Of The Bells
On the main street of this large village, St James church is another that is worth spending a while examining before you ring. The bells were rehung in an eight-bell frame in 1924 - the empty pits being filled in 1948. The old bells have had their canons removed and the Taylor bells were cast with flat tops. One of the late ringers at St James built the platform on which the organ now stands.
The tower rocks noticeably when the bells are rung and to counteract this there has been in the past a plan to remove the old tenor, to be left as a clock bell, and the ring re-modelled using the 7th as the tenor and hung lower in the tower. Currently little, if anything, is occurring in this direction.
The small brassfounders bell from the late 19th centuary which was rescued when the nearby school was demolished and kept in the ringing room for a number of years has recently been hung on a bracket at the base of the tower.
Entrance is from inside at the base of the tower and there is a church car park just to the west of the tower.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-0-11 25.625" 1532.0Hz (G-40c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-0-13 26.00" 1444.0Hz (F#-43c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 4-2-08 27.125" 1286.0Hz (E-43c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 5-1-08 29.00" 1146.0Hz (D-43c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 5-3-26 31.50" 1020.0Hz (C-44c)
6 Newcombe, Leicester 1605 5-3-27 33.00" 964.0Hz (B-42c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 9-3-24 37.25" 859.0Hz (A-42c)
8 Newcombe, Leicester C16th 12-1-23 42.00" 764.0Hz (G-45c)
|The then 4 bells removed
from the tower in 1924
|The Old School Bell.
Hung on a bracket at
the base of the tower
|The Church -
|The Church -