BRINKLOW St John the Baptist 8, 8-1-2 in Ab
Ring of 6
Ring of 8
|Sunday||On a rota - check|
History Of The Bells
A pleasant village close to Coventry. The church is just off the main road through the village. The bells are rung from upstairs, the entrance being round the south corner of the bottom of the tower inside the church.
The frame and fittings are by Taylor, 1913 at which time the Smith of Edgbaston 5 were rehung and a treble added. The 2nd, 3rd & 5th bells indicate that they had been chip tuned after casting and the tenor "skirted" to raise its note slightly. Taylors tuned the whole ring to the note of the 5th during the restoration. The Smith bells have been eight turned and their canons removed and the 1913 treble quarter turned.
Ball bearings were fitted by the local ringers (an early DIY job!) in 1969-70. These bells used to be rung from the ground floor. The ropes hung in two straight lines on opposite sides of the tower, and the ringers stood on a sloping floor! The ringers moved upstairs in 1970.
The scheme to augment these bells to 8 was completed at Easter 2011. The Guild donated the treble in memory of Harry Windsor.
There is plenty of on-street parking near to the church.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-2-23 24.50" 1643.0Hz (Ab-20c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-3-15 25.125" 1551.0Hz (E-19c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1913 4-0-11 26.00" 1380.0Hz (F-21c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston, 1705 5-0-27 27.25" 1230.0Hz (Eb-20c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston, 1705 5-1-11 30.50" 1099.0Hz (Db-10c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston, 1705 5-2-07 31.75" 1036.0Hz (C-17c)
7 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston, 1705 5-3-08 32.375" 936.0Hz (Bb-7c)
8 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston, 1705 8-1-20 37.125" 822.0Hz (Ab-18c)
|The New Second Bell|
|The Ringing Room
The large clock case used to be on the
left wall - where the peal boards are.