Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIRMINGHAM* St Paul 10, 12-2-13 in F#

Grid Reference 139/065875 birmingham St Paul Church - Mike Chester
Postcode B3 1QZ
Recording
Affiliation St Martin's Guild
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1745-14830
Practice Thursday 1930-2115

History Of The Bells

The Grade I listed church,in Birmingham's famous Jewellery Quarter, was designed by Roger Eykyns of Wolverhampton. Building started in 1777, and the church was consecrated in 1779. It was built on land given by Charles Colmore from his Newhall estate. The upper part of the tower and spire was added between 1822 and 1823, designed by Francis Goodwin and built by Standbridge and Company. In 1841 the church became a parish in its own right, with land taken from that of St Martin in the Bull Ring. Bomb damage from the Second World War was repaired between 1949 and 1951 when much of the roof was replaced. The church undertook another restoration between 1985 and 1994. 

Until 2005 there were three bells in the tower

1 James Barwell, Birmingham  1874  4-2-10  27.00"  F#
2 James Barwell, Birmingham  1874  7-0-20  32.625" B
3 John Warner & Sons, London 1858 16cwt    45.00"  
E

The two smaller bells were for the clock and the larger a service bell, possibly replacing an earlier one installed when the tower was completed. The hour bell was hung for ringing in a frame that dated from this time, but was derelict.

In 2005, a new peal of ten bells in the key of F sharp installed as "The Voice of St. Paul's" and also as the main Guild project during the 250th anniversary of the St. Martin's Guild of Church Bell Ringers. The official opening took place on 25th November 2005. The two tenors are hung above the front 8.

The work involved some alterations to the clock, the removal of the old clock room and the erection of new steelwork to support the three old bells, which were retained for the clock. Dumb-bells for practice have been installed above the ring, and sound control has been fitted in the belfry windows.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

 1 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   2-2-06  21.50"  1868.0Hz (A#+3c)
 2 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   2-3-02  22.50"  1663.0Hz (G#+2c)
 3 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   2-3-02  23.50"  1478.0Hz (F#-2c)
 4 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   3-0-13  24.50"  1388.5Hz (E#-10c)
 5 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   3-2-14  26.00"  1247.0Hz (D#+3c)
 6 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   3-2-23  27.50"  1110.0Hz (C#+2c)
 7 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   4-3-02  30.00"   991.0Hz (B+6c)
 8 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   6-1-02  32.50"   928.0Hz (A#-8c)
 9 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005   8-1-09  36.00"   831.0Hz (G#+1c)
10 Taylors, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough  2005  12-2-13  41.00"   740.0Hz (F#+0c)

Photo Gallery

Looking West The Church in 1809. Source: A History of Birmingham; W Hutton
The Church - Looking East The Church in 1809,
Before the Spire Was Built

You are here: Home Rings B Birmingham City Centre Birmingham St Paul