BERKSWELL* St John Baptist 6, 16-2-7 in F (GF)
1630-1700 (GMT - Last)
1730-1800 (BST - Last)
History Of The Bells
This really is a church that deserves close examination before you ring. There is a Tudor room above the entrance to the church and a crypt beneath the nave to visit.
The organ is reputedly a very good one, made by Willis of London in 1897, and no-one will countenance moving it as it could well affect it negatively if they did. This causes a problem for the ringers. They have to ring from behind the organ in an area the width of the tower, but only 5/6 feet wide. This makes the rope circle somewhat squashed, with a large gap between the 4th and the 5th. Nevertheless they go well.
Frame and fittings are by Taylors 1898 when a new treble, third (not second as stated in Church Bells of Warwickshire) and tenor were added. The fourth and fifth tuned and all three were 8th turned at this point in time. The bells were rehung on ball bearings in 1933, also by Taylors. Tilley speculates that the 5th was cast by Newcombe and Hugh Watts in partnership. However, this is unable to be proved and nothing has yet come to light to show that these two founders did work as partners. The old bells have had their canons removed and the new bells were cast without canons. There is a small mediaeval sanctus bell. It was once hung in the beams of the roof of the tower, but is now on display in the North Aisle. It is 6.25" by an unknown founder.
Parking is a little bit restricted near the church, but is quite possible within walking distance of it.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1898 5-3-15 30.25" 1169.0Hz (D-8c)
2 Geoffrey Giles, Coventry 1584 5-1-27 30.25" 1050.0Hz (C+6c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1898 7-1-07 34.00" 938.0Hz (Bb+11c)
4 John de Stafford, Leicester c1380 7-2-06 36.00" 876.0Hz (A-8c)
5 Edward Newcombe c1600 9-3-09 38.50" 787.5Hz (G+8c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1898 16-2-07 45.00" 700.0Hz (F+4c)
|The Nave||The Crypt|