AVON DASSETT St John the Baptist 5, 7cwt in B
|Other information||Church is redundant.
There is no electricity in the tower
History Of The Bells
The old church at Avon Dassett had two bells in an enclosed weatherboarded turret over the west end of the nave. The turret had a pyramid roof and weathercock. Being unsound and unfit for public worship the old church was demolished in 1868 and the foundation stone of the present church erected on the same site was laid in June of that year.
This church was declared redundant in May 1983. It is set in beautiful rural South Warwickshire. Owing to problems with the tower, caused by the fact that the church tower was "allegedly moving slowly down the hill", the bells were not available for ringing for many years. They are a complete ring by Blews and were installed at a cost of £220. Those who have rang on the bells did comment that tower movement made them surprisingly difficult to ring at times. All retain their canons and none have been turned. The installation itself remained in a fairly good condition given the lack of attention that it has not had for a good number of years.
Surveys completed in January 2002 by a steeplejack and structural engineer recommended against the ringing of the bells unless the tower is repaired. This repair work was completed during 2008 and some of the bells were swing chimed shortly afterwards.
The bells have recently had some work done to improve their condition and they are now ringable on a restricted basis and no longer ground floor. However, they are not available for general ringing at the present time.
Details of the Bells
1 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 3½cwt 25.50" 1479.0Hz (F#-1c)
2 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 3¾cwt 26.75" 1310.5Hz (E-11c)
3 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 4½cwt 28.75" 1210.0Hz (D#-49c)
4 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 5¼cwt 30.50 1094.0Hz (C#-23c)
5 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 7cwt 33.50" 989.5Hz (B+3c)
|The bells - down||The bells - up||The tenor|
|The church -
|The church -
|The previous church|