AUSTREY St Nicholas 5, 13cwt in F (Anticlockwise)
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
1930-2100 (1st - check)
History Of The Bells
Originally these bells were a complete ring of five cast by Hugh Watts in 1632 and hung in a two-tier frame. They were rearranged anticlockwise on one level in the old frame when rehung by Barwell of Birmingham in 1911. The second was moved towards the end of its pit and the treble placed at the other end, the second and treble been placed in the pit formerly containing the second alone. The frame is "listed". The empty single bell frame at the base of the spire for the previous position of the treble is sit in situ. The present fittings are still those of Barwell and the bells are, perhaps, not the easiest to ring. The Old ringers' rules dated 1780 hang in the ringing room.
The church is in the middle of the village, next to the pub. Enter the church by the south door and get to the ringing room up a wooden ladder from the base of the tower. At around the time of the Millennium it was found that the stonework of the church was in need of extensive renovation work and the spire has been rebuilt and much stonework restored or replaced.
Details of the Bells
1 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1911 5cwt 30.875" 1065.5Hz (C+31c)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1632 6cwt 32.125" 931.0Hz (Bb-2c)
3 Thomas Rudhall, Gloucester 1770 8cwt 34.75" 898.5Hz (A+36c)
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1632 10cwt 38.00" 784.5Hz (G+1c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1632 13cwt 41.00" 698.0Hz (F-1)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West|