Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

ARLEY St Wilfred 6; 7-0-12 in A (GF)

Grid Reference 140/283906 Arley Church - Source: http://www.nnwfhs.org.uk
Postcode CV7 8RD
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday None
Practice None

History

One of many nice villages near to Coventry. The church is on the main road in OLD ARLEY, there being no ring of bells in New Arley. A nice compact church where you ring from the ground floor behind the organ. The church stands upon a slight mound. It is built of red sandstone and consists of chancel, aisleless nave with a south porch, and a west tower. The whole of the existing building appears to be of 14th-century construction, except portions of the north wall of the nave, which may be of 12th- or 13th-century date, and the modern porch, of half-timber construction with small three-light windows in each side and a tiled roof. The south wall of the nave has been refaced, its buttresses rebuilt, and portions of the window tracery removed. The whole church was restored in 1873

The H frame and fittings are by Taylor, 1929 - but the back three are fitted with wooden stocks and not cast iron ones as are the trebles. The three old bells retain their canons, the trebles being cast flat headed. The tenor has been long said to be in the key of Ab, but is actually A-12c.

The augmention of the bells was reported in The Ringing World of October 4th 1929, with the name of the village mis-spelled!:

The first peal on the bells was not rung until 1960:

Entrance is through the main door on the south side of the church. There is some parking just below the church on the south side in a grassed area, plus careful parking on the road by the church.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1929  2-3-14  23.50"  1468.0Hz (F#-14c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1929  3-0-14  25.00"  1309.5Hz (E-12c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1929  3-3-11  27.00"  1167.0Hz (D-11c)
4 Robert Newcombe, Leicester     c1570  4-0-03  27.875" 1100.0Hz (C#-14c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester        1625  4-3-26  30.75"   965.0Hz (B-40c)
6 Edward Arnold, Leicester        1790  7-0-12  33.625"  874.0Hz (A-12c)

Inscriptions

According to The Ringing World of September 4th 1931 these are:

Treble: Given by George Hazel, A.P. 1929, Church Warden from 1903.’
2nd : To the Glory of God and in remembrance of J. and S. Stain,, from their sons, 1929.
3rd: To the Praise of God, from the Parishioners, 1929.
4th: Robart Newcome ' (date about 1590).
5th : Ihs Nazarenus Rex Judeoruin Fili Dei Misere Mi, 1625.
Tenor : Edward Arnold, Leicester,. Fecit, 1760.

 Photo Gallery

arley2 small arley_plan small
The church - looking east A Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings A Arley