ALVESTON St James 6; 7½cwt in A
History Of The Bells
This church is set in a lovely rural location just outside Stratford upon Avon. There has been a sympathetic restoration project in the recent past that has made the bells no longer a trip up a vertical ladder to ring!
The three largest bells originally hung in the tower of the old church at Alveston, also dedicated to St James, and they were transferred to the present building in 1839. All that is left of the previous church is the chancel, which is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
The frame is based on a cast iron H-frame by Barwell, installed when the bells were augmented to four by them in 1912. It was was extended by Taylors at the 1965 augmentation. They used lowside frames on the same level as the Barwell frame. The 5th cracked in 1977 and was welded by Soundweld in 1980. The 20th century bells were cast flat headed and the canons have been removed from the older bells. The back four retain their Barwell fittings, the two trebles having contemporary Taylor fittings.
They are a pleasant ring of 6 that the local ringers have stated in the past that they would like to augment to a heavier 8, though tower considerations might make this difficult. Nothing has been heard about this proposal in recent times.
The tower recently had about £250,000 of work carried out on it. Much work was needed to repair and replace crumbling stonework.
Parking is available to those who park carefully on the road in front of the church
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1965 3-0-20 24.375" 1476.0Hz (F#-5c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1965 3-2-22 26.00" 1317.0Hz (E-2c)
3 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1912 4cwt 28.25" 1163.0Hz (D-17c)
4 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1658 5¼cwt 30.50" 1103.0Hz (C#-9c)
5 Henry Farmer, Gloucester 1616 6-2-20 32.75" 980.0Hz (B-14c)
6 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1729 7½cwt 36.50" 882.0Hz (A+4c)
|The church - looking east||The old church as it is today|