ALLESLEY* All Saints 8; 12-0-0 in G#
Before 2011 restoration
After 2011 restoration
After 2016 restoration
|Sunday||0930-1000 & 1730-1800|
|Other Information||Church Website|
History Of The Bells
On the North West edge of Coventry this is a pleasant village that is just separate from the city itself. Of Norman origin, the church has been much altered, a major restoration taking place in 1862-3, designed by James Murray. Today, little, bar the tower, is recognisable as being older than this restoration.
There is plenty of parking in the church carpark, situated behind the church, up the small road, Rectory Road, opposite "The Rainbow".
There are 8 bells - the 8¼cwt anticlockwise 5 being completely rehung clockwise and augmented by adding a tenor and recasting the (15th Century!) 3rd in 1901; two trebles being added to complete the octave in 1946/7, at which time the existing 6 bells were rehung on ball bearings using the original headstocks. The "new" trebles occupy the pits for the existing trebles; these being hung in two parallel "lowside" pits installed above the original frame. The bells were cast in late 1946 and hung in 1947.
During 2011 replacement bells for the tonally weak third and fourth were installed.
- The existing third was sold to the Keltek Trust and bellhanger Matthew Higby installed installed it as a treble of five in Little Bedwyn at Easter of 2014. It is interesting to note that the bell is heavier and slightly larger in diameter there after tuning that it supposedly was when hung at Allesley! The "as received weight" was 3-3-8 and not the 3-0-15 weight, after canon removal and tuning, that is in Taylors tuning books for 1901.
- The fourth has been hung dead as a service bell in the upper level of the frame.
During November of 2016 the previous 6th bell was replace by a bell that was rescued from Holy Trinity, Bury and slightly retuned by Taylors. The previous bell is intended to become a clock bell.
Entrance is by an outside door on the south side of the tower. Remember to duck if you are tall!
The frequency of the tenor has been measured and it equates to G#-47c and therefore the ring is in G# and not G as has always previously been stated.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-0-23 23.50" 1619.5HZ (G#-45c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-2-00 24.50" 1529.5Hz (Fx-44c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-1-21 25.50" 1358.0Hz (E#-49c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-3-21 26.875" 1214.0Hz (D#-43c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1901 5-0-27 30.00" 1077.5Hz (C#-49c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 6-2-13 32.50" 1019.7Hz (B#-45c)
7 Newcombe, Leicester 1610 8-0-21 35.75" 906.5Hz (A#-49c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1901 12-0-00 40.75" 808.5Hz (G#-47c)
Service Bell - Previous 4th
4 Thomas Newcombe, Leicester 1580 3-3-08 26.50" 1202.5Hz (D#-59c)
Previous 3rd - At Allesley
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1708 3-0-15 25.50" 1357.0Hz (E#-50c)
Previous 3rd - At Little Bedwyn
1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1708 3-1-22 25.875" 1325.0Hz (E#-9c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1708 5-3-27 32.00" 1016.5Hz (B#-51c)