Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

Alcester, St Nicholas - 8: 12-2-13 in F#

Grid Reference 150/091274 Alcester Church - Source Mike Chester
Postcode B49 5AJ 
Recording None Available 
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday Ringing Not Known
Practice Night Thursday 1945 (Ex 1st) 
Other Info Church Website

 History of the Bells

Set in a pleasant small town in South-West Warwickshire this is a church that is worth spending some time viewing. The clock face is unusually positioned on the tower. The bells are a nice ring of 8 were effectively a completely new ring when cast by Taylors in 1948.

The mediaeval tower and the five bells which it contained were left untouched when the body of the church was rebuilt in 1729-1733. The recasting of the bells followed soon afterwards, however, and in 1735 Abraham Rudhall II supplied a new ring of six for the church. The weight of the tenor bell is given in the Rudhall catalogue as 10 cwt., and when it was taken down for recasting in November 1947 the bell was found to weigh 9cwt 3qrs 20 lbs. The inscriptions of the Rudhall bells were reproduced in facsimile on the six largest bells of the new ring. The bells are named St. George, Peace, Unity, Concord, Faith, Hope, Charity and St. Nicholas

The entrance is from inside the church. These bells are not normally available for peals. There is plenty of on-street parking nearby.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  4-0-17 26.00"  1467.0Hz (F#-16c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  4-1-14 26.625" 1381.0Hz (E#-20c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  4-2-24 28.00"  1229.0Hz (D#-22c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  5-1-17 30.00"  1101.0Hz (C#-12c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  6-0-26 32.125"  977.0Hz (B-19c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  7-0-23 33.50"   923.0Hz (A#-17c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948  9-1-21 37.00"   824.0Hz (G#-14c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 12-2-13 41.125"  733.0Hz (F#-16c)

Photo Gallery

alcester_east
The church -
looking east
The new ring outside the
church  in 1948 with the vicar
and the bellringers(?)

You are here: Home Rings A Alcester